Using Our Buses
Everything you need to know to join us on the buses, we hope you have an enjoyable ride with us!!
Tips for Using our Buses
Bus travel, especially if you have not done it before or have mobility issues and want to start getting out more can be very daunting but trust us when we say, it's fun when you get going and you never know who else you might meet while you're on there!
|When you see the bus heading towards you just put your arm out so the driver can see you.|
|When you get on the bus speak with our friendly drivers and tell them where you would like to go. If you have a pass or need to pay you will be issued with a ticket either way and afforded time to find a seat before we pull away. Need some extra help with access to the bus? If a driver hasn't already, don't be afraid to ask them to lower the bus for a smaller step from the curb or ask them to pull out the ramp if you require it - we're here to help you.|
|Take a seat and relax or hold tight if one isn't available and you have to stand.|
|When you want to get off the bus, press one of the 'stop' buttons located throughout the vehicle and the driver will pull up at the next available bus stop.|
|We care about your safety and for this our drivers need to dedicate their attention to driving when were on the move. For this reason we would ask politely that you do not distract the driver unless in the case of an emergency.|
|Please keep noise to a minimum for the comfort of other passengers. Personal music players should remain personal and your telephone calls should ideally remain between just you and the person on the other end of the phone.|
|Although we won't say that you cannot eat or drink on board we do ask that you refrain from smelly food and take your litter with you or use the bins provided - nobody wants to sit in a mess so please don't leave it like one.|
|Alcohol and Smoking are strictly prohibited on board our vehicles regardless of times and events. Bus service is for the public so please remember that just because you might be on a night out with the guys or girls it doesn't mean that everyone else wants to know about it. Please save your energy for the nightclubs and not our gangways.|
|If one of our drivers has exceeded your expectation and gone beyond the call of duty then please tell us so we can reward the driver accordingly. It's great for us to know you're happy and great for them to know they are appreciated. Similarly if one of our drivers has fallen below the high standards of customer service we expect from them, we need to know and so do they. So never be afraid to tell us what you think.|
The Heritage Group of Companies School Bus Code of Conduct
Most of the children we transport to school each day behave and are a credit to their school and their parents, however sometimes one or two may get a little excited especially at home time!
Parents and their children should take time and read our code of conduct and please abide by it, we wouldn't want to ban you from one of our buses.
Code of Conduct
Parents / Guardians agree to:
- Help their children to know and follow the safest route to and from pick-up points if unaccompanied.
- Ensure children leave the house with sufficient time to get to the bus stop easily before the bus / coach is due.
- Make sure children have their weekly ticket or money to give to the bus / coach driver.
- Remind children how to behave in a safe manner: wait for a bus / coach to pull well away before crossing the road, never open a door on the bus / coach, except in an emergency, never throw anything out of a bus / coach window, do not distract the driver by bad behaviour, including shouting, on the bus / coach.
- Regularly talk to children about their bus / coach journeys and contact the school or the Heritage Group of Companies if they suspect any dangerous or inappropriate behaviour is occurring on the bus / coach.
- Remember that unruly or dangerous behaviour on the bus / coach will not be tolerated nor will foul language, spitting, smoking, drug use or any abuse towards the driver and other students. Any student may be excluded from school buses without notice.
- Teach children the financial consequences of vandalism on the bus / coach. Payment to the Heritage Group of Companies for any damage caused will be the responsibility of parents/guardians.
- Support action taken by the school and / or the Heritage Group of Companies to deal with poor behaviour on behalf of all the students on a bus / coach.
Students agree to:
- Be ready at the bus stop before the bus / coach is scheduled to arrive and indicate for the bus / coach to stop.
- Have their weekly ticket or money ready to hand to the driver.
- Sit down as quickly as possible.
- Not to take up needed seating by placing schoolbags on seats. Put them under your seat. Do not block the aisle or emergency exit.
- Stay in their seat when the bus / coach is moving.
- Think about their actions at all times and not distract the driver.
- Never eat or smoke on the bus / coach and drink only if really thirsty during hot weather.
- Have consideration for other people and be careful with their language so as not to cause offence.
- Ensure that litter is not thrown around or left on the bus / coach.
- Remember that they have a collective responsibility to stop bad behaviour.
- Act in a way that does not endanger themselves or others. Items thrown from a bus / coach can kill or seriously maim. Occurrences of this will be dealt with as a police matter.
- Treat the driver with respect & consideration and follow any instructions he / she gives.
- Tell the driver if he is doing a good job, it builds up a good relationship, if he / she isn't - just tell us and we can sort it out.
- Wait until the bus / coach has stopped before trying to get on or off.
- Remember that the driver can insist that students misbehaving should leave the bus / coach and he / she can ask the Police to assist.
- Take care of the bus / coach and do no damage. Your parents will be liable for any damage caused and if the Heritage Group of Companies reports the matter to the Police it may result in a prosecution.
Bus / Coaches Drivers agree to:
- Follow the scheduled route and timetable stopping at all stops as requested.
- Approach bus stops with care and not brake sharply.
- Maintain a courteous and professional detachment with students.
- Not leave a stop until all students are seated.
- Not to load the bus / coach beyond the licensed capacity.
- Check in the nearside mirror before pulling away in case latecomers are trying to board.
- Maintain control of the bus / coach doors and keep them shut until the bus / coach is at a complete standstill.
- Make sure luggage is safely stowed and the gangway and emergency exits are not obstructed.
- Report any instances of misbehaviour. If needed, seek as a last resort assistance from the Heritage Group of Companies Supervisors, the school or the Police.
- Check for lost property after each journey and hand in anything found at the end of the day.
- Check for any damage after each journey and report any found to the Heritage Group of Companies Supervisor / Manager.
- Make sure all students are clear of the vehicle before pulling away.
- Co-operate with schools over pick-up and set-down arrangements on school grounds.
- Not smoke at any time in any company vehicle or use a hand held mobile phone whilst the bus / coach is in motion.
- In an emergency, if necessary, evacuate the students in an orderly manner and place them in a safe location.
Schools agree to:
- Reinforce the safety rules for students on buses and coaches.
- Ensure students understand that poor behaviour at any time on or in the vicinity of buses / coaches may lead to death or serious injury to themselves or others.
- Take appropriate measures to deal with any poor behaviour and work with the Heritage Group of Companies and parents / guardians in the event of problems.
- Agree contingency plans with operators in the event of bad weather or other emergencies.
- Provide adequate supervision at school set-down and pick-up points.